Thematic Network on Geopolitics and Security
Action Plan 2017–2018
Activities for 2017
- Arctic Science Summit Week 2017 (March 31 – April 7, Prague): http://assw2017.eu, panel “Security and Governance in a Global Arctic” organized by TN, and two panels organized by Rasmus Bertelsen and Barbora Padrtová;
- Annual conference of American Geographers (April 6–10, Boston) with a session on the Arctic, and a TN workshop at University of Boston organized by Michael Corgan (tbc);
- Climate Change and Governance in the Arctic Region workshop (April 13–14, Los Angeles) organized by USC and Stephen Lamy;
- Calotte Academy 2017 (June 1–11 in Finland, Sweden, Norway and Russia), in conjunction with ICASS
- International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences (June 8–12, Umeå, Sweden; http://www.iassa.org/icass-ix/24-icass-ix) where Calotte Academy panels will be organized by the TN;
- High Altitudes Meet High Latitudes: Globalizing Polar Issues conference (September 11–12, Valais, Switzerland; http://polar.epfl.ch) with four Round-tables on Security and Risk management (by Lassi Heininen), Arctic Resources (by Matthias Finger), Infrastructures (by Ksenia Tatarchenko), and Awareness (by Marina Kalinina), organized by Swiss Polar Institute in cooperation with several organizations incl. the GlobalArctic Project and UArctic;
- 5th Arctic Circle Assembly (October 13–15, Reykjavík): http://www.arcticcircle.org – TN will propose a panel on Arctic Security with 2-3 sessions and that on the GlobalArctic with 2-3 sessions;
- Rovaniemi Arctic Spirit conference (October 14–16, Rovaniemi, Finland; http://www.rovaniemiarcticspirit.fi/EN) in conjunction with the Polar Law Symposium;
- Model Arctic Council, an international simulation of the meetings of the AC (October 24-26, Oulu): http://www.uarctic.org/organization/thematic-networks/model-arctic-council/
- International workshop on the Global Arctic (early December, Lisbon, Portugal) organized by University of Lisbon, and Mario Pontes and Sandra Balao (tbc).
Activities for 2018
- ISAR-5 The changing Arctic and its regional to global impact: From information to knowledge and action, January 15–18, Tokyo. Organized by Japan Consortium for Arctic Environmental Research and National Institute of Polar Research, includes the regular sessions of Policies and economy; and Social and cultural dimensions. Website: https://www.jcar.org/isar-5
- 15th International Summer School in Karelia, May 14–19, 2018, Petrozavodsk, Russia. ISSK is a meeting-point for Russian, and Finnish, as well as other Nordic and European, university students with a focus on European, Russian and Arctic/Northern studies. Deadline for applications: March 12, 2018. Call for applications available.
- Calotte Academy 2018, June 4–10, 2018 (tbc). The annual traveling symposium in the European Arctic – Rovaniemi, Salla and Inari, Finland; Kirkenes and Neiden, Norway; Apatity, Lovozero and Murmansk, Russia. Official website: https://calotte-academy.com (first Call for Papers available)
- Model Arctic Council 2018 under the Finnish Chairmanship of the Arctic Council 2017–2019, consisting of two events: students' preparation to the exercise and the Model Arctic Council 2018 event itself, taking place on October 24–27, 2018 in Rovaniemi, Finland (back-to-back to the Arctic Council’s SAO meeting). More information available.
- Arctic Circle Assembly 2018, October 19–21, 2018 (Reykjavik, Iceland), a major international symposium on Arctic affairs. Website: http://www.arcticcircle.org